To choose the best monitors for color grading is not an easy task. That is why this article will discuss best color grading monitors, along with their specifications, performance, pros, and cons, so that a buyer can make an informed decision.
Color grading is the process of improving the appearance of an image to an enhanced level. Color grading monitors are used in motion pictures, still images, and professionally made videos.
The people who need color grading monitor are graphic designers and photographers. The reason why people get color grading monitors is that they want to get as close as they can to pixels.
List Of Best Monitors For Color Grading
Here is a list of best monitors for color grading:
- Dell Ultrasharp UP3216Q – Ideal 4k Color Grading Monitor For Professionals
- BenQ SW271 – Best Professional Color Grading Monitor
- LG 27UK650-W – Best 27 Inch Monitor For Color Grading
- Acer R240HY – Best Affordable Monitor For Color Grading
- EIZO CG2730 – Best Performance Color Grading Monitor
- ASUS PA329Q – Best 4k Computer Monitor For Color Grading
- Acer B276HK – Best Cheap Monitor For Color Grading Under $400
- BenQ Zowie XL2540 – Best BenQ Color Grading Monitor Under $500
Comparison Of Best Monitors For Color Grading
See this comparison chart of the best color grading monitors to differentiate between all the models available.
1. BenQ SW271 – BenQ Color Grading Monitor
It is one of the latest and highly equipped photographic monitors produced and manufactured by BenQ. It also offers a 4K screen resolution to provide the best results to users.
It contains a thin bezel and in addition to this, the monitor also offers 99% Adobe RGB, 100% Rec.709, and 100% sRGB. You will also experience HDR and 10bit color.
This design also includes an adjustable height stand to ensure that the monitor can accommodate in the landscape and portrait scenarios.
This monitor is basically designed for photography, and the colors work accurately. This monitor can also work with BenQ’s Palette Master Element Software which is mostly used to calibrate the monitor's display and ensure that the colors are displayed accurately.
This monitor also utilizes IPS panels; the viewing angles of BenQ SW271 are 178 degrees. It is also capable of displaying approximately 1.07 billion colors.
The response time is 5 ms, and it is good for gaming and video works, etc. Let’s discuss its features below:
- It has a matte screen of 27 inches.
- The ultra HD screen resolution of 3840 x 2160 will surely boost up your user experience.
- The contrast ratio is 1000:1
- It contains display ports 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 inputs as well.
- It is equipped with Palette Master Element Color Software as well.
- The black and white photo mode and darkroom mode are also available.
- It has a 14-bit 3D look, and it also contains a wide color gamut.
- You can also make landscape or portrait orientation.
2. LG 27UK650-W – Best For Color Grading And Gaming
The LG 27UK650-W is a great product that shows up with a 27 inches screen and an ultra HD IPS monitor that enables a low input for gaming without facing any lag, along with SDR maximum brightness.
The monitor offers a good color accuracy, wide angles, and an excellent resolution as well. All of these qualities are displayed in an outstanding manner. This monitor also supports HDR, but it is not that much use because it cannot display a wide color gamut.
This monitor is quite useful if you want to use it in environments with average lights, it will handle the situation in a great manner. The device can also deal with glare well, dark rooms, and blacks that mostly appear grey.
- It has a size of 27 inches.
- This monitor offers a resolution of 3840 x 2160.
- The maximum refresh rate is 60 Hz.
- The LCD is composed of IPS panels as well.
- It is composed of FreeSync technology which helps it to work better.
3. Acer R240HY – Budget Monitor For Color Grading
Acer R240HY is a beautiful looking and sleek monitor containing a thin bezel as well. It provides users with 1080p screen resolution, excellent image quality, and mind-blowing performance.
These features are available at a low price, this is why it is considered one of the best color grading monitors. You will experience flawless image quality enriched with colors.
The multi-display option is also available as a matter of fact that the monitor’s frame is very thin. That is why it is ideal for multi-display setups in your office work milestones or during gaming. The IPS panels which are included in this monitor ensure that you get a wide 178 degrees of viewing angles.
The monitor response time is quite rapid, approximately 4ms so that you will not face any sort of problems such as screen blurring. Let's take a look at its features:
- It has an ideal screen size of 23.8 inches with a resolution of 1920 x 1080p.
- It has a widescreen of 16:9 along with IPS panels.
- This monitor offers a refresh rate of 60 Hz.
- The response time is 4 ms which is quite fast.
- It contains HDMI 1.4, VGA, and DVI ports.
4. Dell Ultrasharp UP3216Q – Ideal 4k Color Grading Monitor For Professionals
This is the best monitor for color grading and ideal for professionals. It offers the user a wide color coverage, along with Adobe RGB and 100% sRGB. The monitor's screen size is 31.5 inches, and the user can count on the preciseness and consistency of its colors.
As it has a color depth of 1.07 billion colors, it reveals a high level of detail for a professional, even in dark areas of a picture.
The monitor has a custom color mode, which helps the professional fine tune their colors. They can make adjustments, by using user-accessible hardware LUT. The details in the picture are reliable and exceptional.
With this monitor help, professionals can edit videos, edit their professional photographs, or work on animations. This monitor encourages a professional, to pay attention to the most delicate details in their work. It has a high pixel density, which gives a professional, an uncompromising look into the picture.
The monitor is very flexible, as it can be easily adjusted according to how the professional sees fit. The professional will get extensive connectivity using this monitor, because of its large bandwidth. It allows a user to use HDMI 2.0, and they can process 4K content at 60Hz; the quality of the picture will not be compromised.
It has a security lock slot, along with a flat panel mount interface. There are built-in devices in the monitor, like a media card reader. The color gamut of the monitor is 99.5%.
- The diagonal viewing size is 31.5 inches
- Aspect ratio is 16:9, making the monitor a widescreen
- The panel type is an in-plane switching
- Optimal resolution is 3840x2160 @60Hz
- Brightness is 300 cd/m2
- Response time is 6ms fast mode, GTG
- It is adjustable; it can be tilted, swiveled, and its height can be adjusted as well
- It supports 1.07 billion colors
- The pixel pitch is 0.182 mm
- The display screen coating is anti-glade with 3H hardness
- It has an audio output and connectivity options
- Without packing, the weight of the monitor is 18.96 lbs
5. EIZO CG2730 – Best Performance Color Grading Monitor
This is the best monitor for color grading, because of its performance. Whether it is graphic design or animation, this monitor is perfect for all. It helps the user hone their color grading skills, and give their work, like photography, the attention they need.
It has a unique wide gamut LED-Lit display, with the feature of color calibration. The screen’s output is high quality, every time. Its IPS display ensures that the professional get the best quality possible.
The monitor has both HDMI 2.0 feature and USB ports, to further facilitate a professional. The HDMI 2.0 is for entertainment, as it allows the professional to watch the video or any other 4K content, at 60 Hz.
The screen design is durable, and the buyer can be sure about the long lasting performance that it provides. The screen has a very consistent and clear view of colors, at any angle. If the professional wants to adjust the monitor in any way he wants, there are various ways to do it.
The monitor comes with a display manager feature, which lets the user keep their workplace tidy. This is a durable monitor and can provide people with reliable performance. The settings of the monitor are customizable, and they can enjoy editing 4K content and other types of content. The mounting pattern of this best monitor for color grading is VESA mounting pattern.
- Screen size is 27 inches
- Max screen resolution is 2560x1440 pixels
- The aspect ratio of this best monitor for color grading is 16:9
- The display type is LED-Lit
- The item’s dimensions are 28.9x13.2x22 in
- The weight of the item is 19.6 lbs
- The refresh rate is 60 hertz
6. ASUS PA329Q – Best 4k Computer Monitor For Color Grading
The monitor has a very true to life color display, as it uses 3M QDEF, which stands for Quantum Dot Enhancement Film. This provides a professional with a wide color range, making this monitor the best monitor for color grading. Professionals, like designers, will find this monitor ideal for their use. This is also perfect for video editing and production. The PS display technology gives the user wide viewing angles, so that there are no color shifts, even from an extreme position.
As this is a 32-inch screen monitor, the level of detail that it features on the screen is breathtaking. It gives the professional 4 times the pixel density, which is more than any other HD display. It contains calibration technology, which offers a professional with color accuracy, as well as uniformity compensation. This makes it easier for a professional to recalibrate their monitor’s brightness and color consistency.
The professional can view 4K UHD sources, and that too more than once; this means that there can be four pictures on the monitor at one time. The monitor offers the user a full connectivity option. ASUS eye care technology can help users view their content without any flickers and it comes with a wall mount.
- This is a 32-inch screen monitor
- It supports 4K UHD
- The display resolution of the monitor is 3840x2160
- It comes with HDMI 2.0 inputs
- Connectivity includes Displayport 1.2 and mini-Displayport 1.2
- 5% Adobe RGB true color reproduction
- 14-bit LUT
- Display type is LCD
- Aspect ratio is 16:9
- Item dimensions are 33.4x13.8x21.8 in
- Item weight is 27.6 lb
- Refresh rate is 60 Hz
7. Acer B276HK – Best Cheap Monitor For Color Grading Under $400
This is the best monitor for color grading because it gives the user ultra display features. The 4K resolution shows images in their stunning, life like form. The user can easily see the amazing, yet small details in the image. This makes gaming, watching a movie, or editing a picture, a cinematic experience.
The monitor is reliable and can be used for both simple and complex tasks. The aspect ratio of the screen is 21:9 and it has an anti-glare screen. The screen can be used or showing movies and games and enhances the productivity of the user.
A professional editor can easily tilt the screen of the monitor and view things in either landscape or portrait form. The screen comes with wide color gamut technology, and it has 100% sRGB color space, which provides natural and real colors to the user.
The backlight of the monitor is adjustable and has about 30%-100% brightness. The monitor has a low dimming technology, which helps the user adjust its brightness. The viewing angles of the monitor provide the user with deeper blacks and crisper whites. If someone wants to multitask, then they can do so, by connecting two systems with the monitor.
The stand of the monitor is ergo based, and it can be tilted with just one push. It has five high speed USB ports, of 3.0 technology. There is a USB charging port system, which allows the user to charge their smartphone and any other mobile devices without delay.
It has a very friendly design and is safe for any environment. The display uses mercury free white LED backlighting technology, and this can reduce power consumption by at least 68%.
- This is a 27 inches screen monitor
- The max display resolution is 3840x2160
- The display type is LED
- The item dimensions are 24.6x9.7x21.7 in
- The weight of the monitor is 17.2 lbs
- The mounting type is the wall mount
- Refresh rate is 60 Hz
- Panel type is IPS
- Aspect ratio is 21:9
- Brightness is 300 cd/m2
- Response rate is 6ms
- There are 5 USB ports; 1 up and 4 down
- There are two built in speakers installed
- The weight of the item is 17.2 lbs
8. BenQ Zowie XL2540 – Best BenQ Color Grading Monitor Under $500
This monitor gives a professional, a 240 Hz experience, which gives them more control over the applications they are using. This monitor is perfect for gamers as well, as they can have a better understanding of what is happening in the game. They are able to catch more motion and enjoy a fluid game.
The best monitor for color grading allows the professionals to adjust features like saturation level. This helps them enjoy the little details in pictures and videos. When a professional is able to adjust the saturation level of the screen, then this makes the picture clearer.
Moreover, they can find out the hidden things in a picture, and even dull pictures become more visible. The monitor is equipped with a Black eQualizer, which increases the visibility of things.
It provides the professional with personalized viewing angles, as they are able to adjust the height of the monitor. With just the tip of a finger, the user can adjust its height and preferred angle. This will not only maximize comfort but help the user work better on their project.
The monitor has a removable design, which helps the monitor adapt to different environments. It gives them easy access to different scenarios, like adjusting display settings. They can switch between different programs and navigate the menu easily.
- The display size of the monitor is 24.5 inches
- The display maximum resolution is 1920x1080
- The aspect ratio is 16:9
- The display type is LCD
- The item dimensions are 22.44x17.55x8.9 in
- Weight of the item is 16.53lbs
- The mounting type for this monitor is a wall mount
- Refresh rate is 240 Hz
- It comes in black and red colors
Ultimate Buying Guide for Color Grading Monitors 2020
There are several things to consider before buying a color grading monitor.
Gamut and Gamma
These two elements deal with different colors, and Luma capabilities. They ensure that when the user buys a monitor, then that monitor gives them a clear display.
When colorists are working on graphics, then they need black details and not muddy greys on their screen. When such muddy greys appear on the screen, then that can be very annoying for the colorist. Color grading monitors have such settings, which can have a great impact on the contrast of the monitor.
When professionals are working on graphics, then they are not just using one application; they are using multiple applications and need to calibrate their monitor. This can be done through built-in tools and dedicated software.
Professionals even use an external probe to handle this issue. If it is a good color grading monitor, then it will provide better customization options for calibration, and the professional would be at ease.
The screen size of a grading monitor depends on how much room the professional has to accommodate it. It also depends on the viewing distance of the monitor. The most popular sizes in color grading monitors are 19 inches-32 inches.
When you are handling color grading monitors, you require a monitor with IPS LCD panels. These panels provide a better viewing angle to the professional and even support their pro color spaces. OLED monitors provide good brightness levels, along with high contrast ratios.
When buying a color grading monitor, make sure that it supports high dynamic range, because that would increase the color intensity of the graphics. Moreover, if you want high contrast for your images, then make sure this factor is present in the monitor.
Color grading monitors have a wide floor gamut as Adobe RGB has. Such monitors are ideal, because they offer the professional finer color details, as compared to the old monitors. When buying a color grading monitor, make sure you buy one with the 10-bit specification, because it increases the range dynamically.
These are the best color grading monitors, and they show the features that a customer should always consider before buying a monitor. The resolution and the colors are what make up a picture. However, if someone is unable to truly see every pixel, and only see dead pixels, they won’t be able to fully appreciate a picture. Pixels are very important for photographers and designers, which is why they need to buy the best monitor for color grading. Some customers might want to use the same monitor in their home and office. This is why, a lightweight monitor would be very helpful for the customer.